SEEKONK, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – The assistant town clerk in Seekonk was killed in a hit-and-run crash Saturday and police are searching for the suspect.
At about 10 p.m. Friday, police were called to Arcade Avenue for the report of an injured woman. Once they arrived, police found that the 51-year-old woman had been hit by a car, and the driver fled. She was taken to Rhode Island Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
The victim was identified as Seekonk’s Assistant Town Clerk Karen McHugh.
Police believe the car was traveling south on Arcade Avenue toward Taunton Avenue and that it most likely has front end damage. There is a chance the car has passenger-side damage as well. Debris found at the scene has convinced officers that the car is dark gray, and could be a GM vehicle.
Anyone with information is asked to call Seekonk police at 508-336-8123. The investigation remains ongoing.
Police said they did not know why the woman was walking in the northbound lanes of the highway, but were seeking a late model dark-colored pickup with Massachusetts plates.
“The truck continued to travel northbound on 495 after hitting the woman,” spokesman David Procopio said.
The name of the woman killed was not immediately released by police. Anyone with information about the truck or the crash is asked to call the Massachusetts State Police Andover Barracks at (978) 475-3800.
A New Hampshire state trooper pursued two people in a stolen car across the state line from Salem, N.H., into Methuen, where the vehicle crashed into a pole and split in two, officials said. The driver was arrested and his female passenger released, according to authorities.
New Hampshire State Police said Trooper Jack DeJesus tried to pull over the 1994 Honda Accord on Interstate 93 in Salem near the Massachusetts border around 10 p.m. Tuesday.
The car, with Massachusetts plates, had been reported stolen in Manchester, N.H., State Police said in a statement.
DeJesus activated his emergency lights, and the driver stopped the vehicle in the breakdown lane – in Massachusetts – but then drove off with DeJesus in pursuit. New Hampshire authorities said the vehicle was driven south on I-93 and then east on Route 213 before crashing into a utility pole on Pleasant Valley Street in Methuen.
The man and woman jumped out of the crumpled car and ran away, but were caught by Massachusetts State Police and Methuen police who were assisting DeJesus, officials said. The driver was captured at a nearby McDonald’s restaurant, officials said.
He was identified by New Hampshire authorities as Tommy M. Rogers, 29, of Manchester, N.H. He is to be arraigned in Lawrence District Court as a fugitive from justice and receiving the stolen car.
HAMPTON BEACH, N.H. —Two women were seriously injured when they were struck by a vehicle on Ocean Boulevard in Hampton Beach on Thursday morning.
Investigators said Karen Weinhold, 69, of Hampton, and Lisa Beaudry, 60, of Hampton, were walking on the street at 7:15 a.m. when they were hit by a 1992 Volvo sedan driven by 17-year-old Remi Gross-Santos.
Police said they believe Gross-Santos had been drinking.
“Mr. Santos is in custody for aggravated driving while intoxicated,” Sawyer said. “We do believe that alcohol was a factor in the accident.”
Gross-Santos was scheduled to graduate on Friday, but the Portsmouth school district said his parents reached out to administrators to say their son will not be attending the ceremony.
Police said the two women were walking facing traffic when they were struck.
“It appears the vehicle swerved across the roadway across the travel lane and struck the two pedestrians from behind,” Deputy Chief Rich Sawyer said.
Witness George Marquis was in his office when the accident happened. He said he heard a loud thump when the women were hit.
“I could see the two ladies in the street, and there was, like, a handbag maybe 15 feet from the car,” he said.
Other personal items were thrown even further from the scene of the collision. Both women were flown to a Boston hospital after the crash.
A second occupant of the car was not arrested, and his name is being withheld. Police said he asked officers at the scene if he could get a cap and gown out of the car, but police denied that request.
Police said they are trying to confirm what the teenagers were doing leading up to the crash, but they said they know the two had been at an outing with friends.
Gross-Santos was released on $25,000 personal recognizance bail. He will be arraigned on June 25.
He is required to adhere to a 9 p.m. curfew and not use any drugs or alcohol. He also had to turn over his driver’s license to Hampton police.
LOWELL — An unidentified male pedestrian was killed late Wednesday night when he was struck while crossing Westford Street by a car that sped away at a high rate of speed with much of its windshield smashed out, according to a witness.
Police were called to the area in front of 585 Westford St., near Marlborough Street, at 10:51 p.m., when they received multiple 911 calls reporting a pedestrian was struck and still down in the street.
The first officers to arrive at the scene quickly reported that the incident was a hit-and-run, asked that Trinity EMS to hurry to the scene, and broadcast the license plate of a car witnesses saw leaving the area.
Police were searching for that car, a blue Volkswagen hatchback with Massachusetts license plate 537TY6, almost immediately after the crash occurred. Police have already identified who owns the car via the car’s registration.
A 19-year-old Lowell woman, who asked that her name be withheld, said she was walking home from work on Westford Street when she heard the sound of a speeding car and looked since it made her nervous.
“I saw this car just speed off with its front end totally smashed,” she said. “It was totally smashed. You could tell it just hit someone.”
That woman said much of the car’s windshield was destroyed, though she was unable to make out the make or model of the car on her own.
She feared the smashed windshield meant the car had just struck someone, but didn’t realize she was right until she walked a bit farther and came upon the scene of the crash.
“When I walked by I saw the body on the ground and I was like, ‘oh my God, that really did happen,’” she said.
Police could not immediately comment.
The Lowell Police Traffic Unit will reconstruct the crash, so Westford Street was expected to be closed between Marlborough and Belmont streets until early Thursday morning.
Anyone with information is asked to call Lowell police at 978-937-3200 or Crimestoppers at 978-459-TIPS (8477).
Tipsters can remain anonymous, but can receive up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest.
A man who police claim carjacked a vehicle caused seven collisions from Peabody to Burlington before ultimately rolling over on Route 128 Friday afternoon.
State Police said they responded to a report of a hit and run crash, “followed by multiple additional crashes” on the state highway around 3:15 p.m.
Authorities continue to investigate the incident but said preliminary evidence suggests the suspect crashed his own vehicle and then carjacked the second car he later rolled over.
WCVB reports that Arthur Choate, 23, of Gloucester was arrested fleeing the scene of the accident. Choate was charged with larceny of a motor vehicle and leaving the scene of a proprety damage accident.
There were no injuries reported in the series of accidents.
The driver of the MBTA bus involved in this weekend’s crash, Shanna Shaw, allegedly lied to investigators about having a cell phone with her when the accident occurred and initially blamed a sneezing attack for the crash, according to an MBTA Transit Police affidavit.
Shaw later admitted to having a cell phone after police heard it ringing in her purse while she was being treated at the hospital, the affidavit said. It said she also admitted to holding it in her hand at the time of the crash, but only after investigators informed her the surveillance video from inside the bus showed the device in her hand. The affidavit said there was an item in her other hand as well, though it is unclear what that item was.
Police included witness accounts from passengers in the affidavit, including one that claimed Shaw was driving too fast as she turned onto the highway overpass. The same passenger said he did not hear the driver sneeze or cough, but that he also didn’t “observe her being distracted.”
Shaw has been cited for speeding, operating to endanger, and impeded operation by MBTA Transit Police. She was also charged with obstruction of justice after allegedly misleading authorities looking into the incident.
Shaw’s public Facebook profile lists the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office as a previous employer. The AG’s office confirmed that a woman of the same name worked there from February 1993 to December 1994.
The affidavit said “there were no calls or texts” around the time of the crash that could be found on the phone itself, but a search warrant obtained by investigators will allow them to search her phone records.
A ban on cell phone use for MBTA bus, subway, and trolley operators has been in place since 2009, according to the transit service’swebsite. The announcement for the ban describes the policy as “zero tolerance” and calls for “immediate suspension and recommendation for dismissal” for any driver found to be violating the rule.
A report from The Boston Globeadded that Shaw, who has worked with the MBTA since 1996, has a questionable driving record in her personal vehicle. In the last 10 years, she has been in at least three at-fault accidents and has been cited for speeding, seat-belt violations, improper passing, and failure to stop, according to RMV records.
The Associated Press reported Shaw will be arraigned on May 27.
Eight people, including Shaw, were taking to the hospital after the crash on Sunday, though none of their injuries were life-threatening.
BROCKTON, Mass. (AP) — A grand jury has indicted a state trooper on drunken driving and vehicular manslaughter charges in connection with an off-duty crash that took the lives of a mother and daughter from Carver.
The indictment Wednesday charges 25-year-old John Basler with eight offenses in connection with the September crash that took the lives of 64-year-old Susan Macchi and 23-year-old Juliet Macchi.
Authorities say the Macchis were returning home after attending a Red Sox game, while Basler was returning home after attending a party in Wareham.
Prosecutors say Basler’s blood-alcohol content was twice the legal limit to drive.
Basler is free on personal recognizance after pleading not guilty in district court. He has been suspended without pay.
“We ran up to the top of the street to see if there were any signs of the gentleman moving,” one witness said.
Several witnesses said they saw a large truck leave the area.
“The vehicle in question is described as a sanitation truck, white in color with black lettering,” Boston police said in a statement.
“There are a lot of bikes — every day — and the trucks and the cars that come by here, they don’t stop at the stop sign,” a local business owner said.
The man who was killed has not been identified.
“Our hearts are with the family and friends of the person who passed on. And we pray that the driver who left the scene is brought to justice,” said Pete Stidman, executive director of the Bike Union. “Nothing can excuse consciously leaving another person lying in the street, if that is indeed what happened.”